Saturday, December 10, 2011

The After Effects

So yesterday was my last day of clinical and boy was it good. We didn't really do anything like normal clinical days, we had a poster to present so we were basically finishing it and just chilled out with the residents at the nursing home. Something that was surprising was one particular resident. For the past 6 weeks that we've been there, this lady has always been sad, crying, sedentary and she barely spoke and even when she did, it was to us the students and was very short. Yesterday, we got there and she was all smiles and going off, asking us questions, answering questions and such. We all had different theories to why she was like this but I'll share only one, said by yours truly, "Santa came last night "(haha you are free to laugh at my ridiculousness, but I did have a more serious one). In any case, it was such a turn around that it hurt to have to leave. Anyway, we finished up our project and the last tidbit assignments and finally presented the poster to two residents (referring to the elders) who were around and our clinical professor. It went great, considering that we had couldn't agree on anything at the beginning of the project. Once we finished the presentation, we handed the professor a picture, signed by all of us (this was her first clinical class) and did the whole group hug thing. Now it was at this point that everything hit me, the clinical was over and goodbyes were being said and honestly, it kinda hurt (I hate goodbyes, I prefer laters). So in the line of being who we were, we all went to say bye to the patients, particularly those we had cared for throughout the 6 weeks. Most of them were saddened and said they'll miss us and to be honest, I think all of us will miss them. They wished us good luck and the rest and we left, for the last time.

Four of us went to eat lunch, the only reason why we went was be brought food, thinking this would have been a regular clinical day. So we had what we coined "a cultural food awakening" We swapped food and the rest and after suffering food coma, went home.

After all this, only one thing is really stuck in my head, will I eventually become one of those that learn, understand, want to change the aspect in which care is given and then get lost in the system? Having now watched what goes down in a nursing home, having given care and tried to change areas where due diligence of care was not fully given, will I "forget", like some what is due to elders and all other individuals that I care for? On a very serious note, I have always been one of those that does not like to forget where I came from, what it took to get here and the learning that occurred on the way but seeing two nurses, sometimes one,  having to work with over 25 patients with their only source of help as the first-semester nursing students, its hard to think that aspects of care are not "forgotten".

By the grace of GOD, I won't. And if in any point in my career I do, I would hope that those that read and care will tell me so and if you're not good at confrontation, think of this less a confrontation and more of a reminder lol. I know at least two people that will not hesitate ;-)

P.s. I am very much aware of the strain on health professionals. There are a few of us and many patients and care must be given to them. But I just feel and hope that we all work in an environment where individuals are not just MR #s but as individuals. Yes, I am a freshman in this but please believe that I am not new to caring.

Anywhichway sha, it's Saturday and I have papers to write and studying to get done so lerra pipuls.

Hope you've had and will have a wonderful week, esp. for those with finals coming up.

6 comments:

  1. What healthcare field are u in? Nursing? Had no clue. Keeping secrets... :) Good luck studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nursing.
    Lol. It was an accidental secret? O_o lol. Same to you about the studying! Hopefully the exams don't kill us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL well done!

    I remember those days off 1st clinical at the nursing home many years ago. We were learning about comprehensive (holistic) care plans and in the nursing home there really wasn't much we could do clinically other than nursing assistant duties and the likes so we spent a good amount of time focusing on the psychosocial aspect of nursing care and we had to have finished our report of different aspects of the treatment plan (the medical stuff mostly taken from the patients chart and kardex) and the psychosocial stuff figured out by us. We ended up getting quite emotionally attached to our patients and this is where my story comes in.

    It was Wednesday morning and abruptly woke up, sweating, scared and sad, I had just had a vision of me walking down the hall to my patient's room (let's call him Mr Walker) and of course it's all in slow motion coz its a dream right? So as I got by his room, I peeked inside, and he wasnt there, his bed was made and his side of the room was all neat and sparkling. Very strange I thought.
    Then I looked to the left of the door, where the patients names who occupy the room are written, the plaque which had his name was gone. I felt very strange thinking, he wasn't that old and he wasn't that sick, maybe he got transferred to the hospital or another nursing home? So I went and asked the DON where Mr Walker was, and she told me he had not had a very good time this past week-end and passed away. Before she ended her sentence I felt weak and my legs cave in. That was the dream.

    So a couple days later. I went for clinicals on Thursday morning and as we get out of the pre-clinical meeting and I head towards Mr Walker's room, I feel a strange sensation and my dream comes back to me.
    I almost instantly felt like I was looking at myself re-playing out the dream, all in slow motion.
    And you will not believe if I tell you that every thing happen exactly just like in the dream, the peeking in the room, me looking at the plaque and noticing his name wasn't there, and that point I got very creeped out and went on to ask somebody, anybody, and there the same person the DON, told me exactly what she had told me in my dream; he had passed away that night of Tuesday to wednesday, the same night I had the nightmare about him!
    This is one of the creepiest experience in my nursing career and my life in general... Hope it doesn't happen to you, it's a little traumatizing.

    As you progress in nursing, learn to take a few minutes and pray for your patients along with your other prayer topics in your devotionals. Patients are lucky to have christian nurses take care of them and God sends us to take care of particular people for a reason.

    Alright sorry for the very long comment... I might just turn this into a post on my blog lol.
    Are in the bachelor program or the diploma one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. I just looked at this and was like, "Did I write this?" until I realized it was a comment. Thank you for sharing the experience. Wow! All I can honestly say is wow! You are so right on the getting attached. Because we do end up spending a lot of time understanding and getting to know the residents and after hearing their stories and the one you just shared I will start praying for them because it does matter and is important. Thank you for sharing the story again. Btw, I'm in a bachelor program. I'm assuming you've graduated already and is working in the field?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not easy being in the healthcare field or any caring sector. All the best with your studies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are more than appreciated!! And if I don't respond, sorry in advance, school is probably strangling me :-)