Sunday, November 27, 2011

Days After Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was good. Had some great apple pie courtesy the store my cousin bought it from. It was ummm ummm good! In all, family and food was good and I really did have fun, heard some stories that I hope in time eventually get lost in my brain o_O. The next day you ask, Friday or what I with the rest of America label as Black Friday? It was good. Rather than sleeping in after having Apple pie coma, (for some reason I baked a turkey, went to my cousin's house where she had two turkeys, yes two, and didn't eat any part of a bird, smh) I decided to wake myself up at 5am and go mega-sale hunting, mind you most shoppers were probably back from shopping at this time. Got a lot of deals and boy was I happy. Btw, did anyone hear about the lady who pepper-sprayed ppl to gain an advantage over other customers in a store? My response if I was there: someone, anyone should have held on to her so that when I finally cleaned my eyes in someway, I would have socked her in her jaw. How dare she?!?! But then again I wasn't there so... moving on. Anyway, on Saturday, in my marvelous efforts of procrastinating work, guess who learned how to tie a gele?? Me!! Courtsey my mom who is like the queen (in my house) of gele tying. For those who aren't aware of what it is, gele is a head wrap mostly worn during celebrations or gatherings by Nigerian women. I'm sure other nationalities wear them but I'm not aware of the particulars. In any case, here's a picture after numerous trials and errors

After finally getting it, my mom proclaimed that I must wear one at every event. Yeah right!
Hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving of weekend if you don't celebrate. Finally going to start all the work I've been putting off since Monday. Ahhh the sleepless nights begin, again.

P.S. If any one is wondering what's that l at the end of some words, its really an exclamation mark but the font I use doesn't show it as such.

Lerra pipus! (@HoneyDame: told you I'll use the term!)

Update: look who got better at tying geles. At this rate I'll surpass my mom (just thought about that again, that's not happening any time soon)

Pictures have been taken down.

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm...i was offered apple pie yesterday and i refused cos errmmm i need to lose weight. Now i'm rethinking it cos i love apple pie. Nice gele. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You refused apple pie?!?! You should have sent it my way! Yeah I'm sure I gained like 5 pounds off all the apple pie but it was too good to resist. Thanks about the gele. Will go and learn more styles...after I get all this work done lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha.....I didnt have any thansgiving-y fun jare....The program I came with took us to dinner where duck was substituted for turkey...abeg.. it felt like any other dinner in Beijing. It didnt help that the nonsense kids that they bought dinner for just ate and left...no fraternization....nothing!
    That gele looks superb o! it just reminds me that I havent tied one in years and I am supposedly the queen of gele tying in my house....shio!

    Lerra pipuls....lmao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the duck was good sha! Smh @ the shidren, how can they just come and eat and not fraternize?? I bet if you I and went into gele-tying competition you'd beat me hands down no questions ask so I will not even say anything.

    Lerra lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww! I'm still working on my gele tying...kai! That thing is an art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sisi...more like a work out. I was sweating after 5 attempts of tying

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well done!!!! It looks almost perfect, maybe we can swap nursing homework for gele tying favors?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MrsNdem...You have got yourself a deal!!! But let me try and get the hang of it lol!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are more than appreciated!! And if I don't respond, sorry in advance, school is probably strangling me :-)